Friday, April 26, 2019

Practice Exercises 2

This practice session is designed after reading my previous post on Articles. The answers are given for Q2, but you will have to write your answers for Q1.

Q1. Choose the correct definite or indefinite article: "the", "a", "an" or "x" (zero article).
  1. I bought _________pair of shoes.
  2. I saw _________movie last night.
  3. They are staying at _________hotel.
  4. Look at _________woman over there! She is a famous actress.
  5. I do not like _________basketball.
  6. That is _________girl I told you about.
  7. _________night is quiet. Let's take a walk!
  8. _________price of gas keeps rising.
  9. Karma traveled to _________Mongar.
  10. Tashi is _________Sharchop.
  11. I read _________amazing story yesterday.
  12. My brother doesn't eat _________chicken.
  13. _________love is such _________beautiful thing.
  14. I live in _________apartment. _________apartment is new.
  15. I would like _________piece of cake.
  16. I was in _________Japanese restaurant. The _________restaurant served good food.
  17. Sonam can play _________guitar.
Q2. Write ‘a, an, the or x for zero/no article in the space provided and check your answers from the answer key given below.
  1. We have _________beautiful garden. _________garden is full of roses.
  2. Is football _________popular sport in _________world? Yes, it is.
  3. I'd like _________glass of orange juice please.
  4. Can you give me _________envelope, please? Certainly. Oh! Where’s _________envelope?
  5. Is there _________post office near here?
  6. They’re at _________cinema.
  7. My brother is in_________classroom.
  8. Would you like _________hamburger?
  9. Sonam has got _________cat. What is_________cat’s name?
  10. _________school is very cold. Hasn’t it got_________ central heating system? It has, but_________central heating is broken down.

Answer key for Question 2:

  1. We have a beautiful garden. The garden is full of roses.
  2. Is football a popular sport in the world? Yes, it is.
  3. I'd like a glass of orange juice please.
  4. Can you give me an envelope, please? Certainly. Oh! Where’s the envelope?
  5. Is there a post office near here?
  6. They’re at the cinema.
  7. My brother is in the classroom.
  8. Would you like a hamburger?
  9. Sonam has got a cat. What is the cat’s name?
  10. The school is very cold. Hasn’t it got a central heating system? It has, but the central heating is broken down.
.....
Notes prepared/compiled by Madam Sonam Yuden, who is an English teacher in Changangkha Middle Secondary School, Thimphu Thromde. She is also a published author of Children's book in Bhutan.

Authorized usage for educational purposes only.